The deaths of five Italian divers in an underwater cave system off Vaavu Atoll, followed by the loss of a Maldivian military rescue diver during recovery operations, have prompted urgent questions about the regulatory framework governing technical diving in one of the world’s premier underwater destinations. As international coverage continues and the bodies of the victims return home, the focus is shifting from what went wrong on a single dive to whether the systems meant to prevent such tragedies are fit for purpose.
A Tragedy That Drew Global Attention
On Thursday, 14 May, five Italian divers descended into the Devana Kandu cave system near Alimathaa island, roughly 100 kilometres south of Malé. They were diving from the luxury liveaboard Duke of York. None resurfaced. Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was recovered from the mouth of the cave that same day. The remaining four, including University of Genoa marine ecologist Professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, marine biologist Federico Gualtieri, and researcher Muriel Oddenino, were located together in the third and deepest chamber on Monday, 18 May.
It is the deadliest single diving incident in Maldivian history. The toll rose to six when Sergeant-Major Mohamed Mahudhee of the Maldives National Defence Force died of suspected decompression illness sustained during the recovery effort.
Coverage from CNN, BBC, Reuters, the Associated Press, Corriere della Sera, Il Giornale, DIVE Magazine, and Divernet has converged on four threads: the human dimensions of the loss, the multinational recovery operation involving Finnish specialists from Divers Alert Network Europe and consultation with British cave-rescue veteran John Volanthen of 2018 Thai cave rescue fame, an investigation into apparent rule-breaking, and a sharper technical critique from the specialist diving press over whether the dive should ever have been attempted.
Shafraz Naeem, a veteran Maldivian diver who has explored Devana Kandu more than thirty times and now advises Maldivian defence and police agencies, told Il Giornale that “everyone knows the rules were broken” and that the group lacked permits to research at those depths. He noted that diving on compressed air at such depths invites oxygen toxicity, a risk that begins around 55 metres. Comment threads on Divernet and DIVE Magazine have repeatedly pressed a single question that mainstream coverage has skirted: were the victims certified for deep cave diving at all?
The Government’s Position and the Gaps It Reveals
Chief Presidential Spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef has been the consistent voice of the Maldivian government through the unfolding crisis. His statements to Reuters and other outlets have outlined an official position that, on closer reading, exposes precisely the regulatory weaknesses now under scrutiny.
Shareef confirmed that a permit had been issued for soft-coral research at Devana Kandu, but said that “what we didn’t know was that it was cave diving.” He also stated that the operator of the Duke of York lacked the required dive school permit, noting that regulations require such a permit for any vessel taking divers on expeditions. The Tourism Ministry has since suspended the vessel’s licence pending investigation. President Mohamed Muizzu visited the search site, attended Sergeant-Major Mahudhee’s funeral with full honours, and described the recovery as the country’s highest priority.
Yet the official account sits uneasily alongside other statements. The boat’s operator, Abdul Muhsin Moosa, insisted that the Duke of York had permission for recreational diving down to 30 metres and that the divers had been briefed on that limit upon arrival. Italian tour operator Albatros Top Boat, through its lawyer Orietta Stella, told Corriere della Sera that it had not known the group intended to descend beyond 30 metres and would never have authorised it. The University of Genoa issued a mid-tragedy disclaimer stating that the fatal dive had been undertaken privately and was unconnected to its sanctioned scientific programme.
The result is a chain of accountability in which every link points to another. A research permit was granted without anyone in the regulatory chain verifying what kind of diving the research would require. The vessel held one form of authorisation but not another. The marketing operator disclaims operational control. The host university disclaims the dive itself. Naeem’s blunt assessment, that the rules were broken and everyone knew it, lands with particular weight precisely because he advises the agencies now investigating.
Where the System Breaks Down
The Maldives currently operates a regulatory model that distinguishes between recreational diving, capped at 30 metres, and a separate permit track for scientific research. The interface between those two categories is where the system fails. A scientific permit can be issued without technical assessment of the diving it implies. A vessel can hold transport authorisation without the dive school permit that should accompany dive operations. Cave diving, internationally treated as a discipline requiring specific certifications from agencies such as TDI, IANTD, NSS-CDS, or NACD, is treated under Maldivian law as undifferentiated deep diving.
There is no requirement for operators to file pre-dive manifests for activity beyond recreational limits. There is no electronic logging system subject to random audit. There is no single responsible operator of record legally accountable across subcontracting arrangements. There is no independent incident review body insulated from tourism revenue considerations. Local dive professionals who know the rules are routinely bent have no protected channel through which to report concerns in an industry where tourism contributes roughly a quarter of national GDP.
These are not abstract design flaws. They are the specific cracks through which a fatal dive at Devana Kandu fell.
[A Soldier’s Death and the Capacity Question
Sergeant-Major Mahudhee’s death changed the texture of the tragedy. A Maldivian serviceman lost his life attempting to recover foreign nationals from a cave system whose hazards exceeded the technical envelope of standard military dive training. Decompression illness at the depths involved in the Devana Kandu recovery is not a failure of courage. It is the predictable consequence of asking conventionally trained divers to operate in an environment that demands rebreathers, mixed gas protocols, and the sustained practice of technical cave-rescue specialists.
The Maldives does not currently maintain a dedicated technical rescue capability. Cave recovery at depth is a specialism cultivated over years by a small global community of practitioners in places like Mexico, Florida, and Finland. When the call came at Devana Kandu, the country had to rely on Finnish divers from DAN Europe and consultation with British cave-rescue veterans because that capacity did not exist domestically.
This is not a criticism of the Coast Guard or the MNDF. It is recognition that a nation hosting hundreds of liveaboards and thousands of technical dives each year has not invested in the rescue infrastructure that level of activity warrants. A dedicated technical rescue unit, even a small one of six to ten divers trained on rebreathers and mixed gas with ongoing exercises and rotation partnerships with DAN Europe, the British Cave Rescue Council, and the Finnish and Mexican cave-diving communities, is not a luxury. It is the floor below which a country cannot responsibly host the activity it markets.
A Moment That Calls for Honesty, Not Blame
There will be time for accountability. Investigations will run their course. Permits will be reviewed, licences scrutinised, statements compared against logs and timelines. But the immediate moment is not one for shifting blame between Albatros and the Duke of York, between Malé and Genoa, between a marketing operator and a host institution. Five Italian families have lost loved ones. A Maldivian family has lost a serviceman who died trying to bring those loved ones home. A small daughter has lost her mother, and a mother her daughter, in the same chamber of the same cave.
The diving community is international, networked, and pays close attention. It reads the specialist press, follows the forums, and knows the difference between a country that responds to tragedy with defensive public relations and one that responds with honest acknowledgement of what failed. The Maldives stands at a juncture where the choice between those responses will shape the next decade of its diving tourism. The political weight of a Maldivian death alongside foreign deaths gives this moment its rare reform potential, and that potential closes quickly.
What Reform Could Look Like
The shape of credible reform is not mysterious. A tiered classification system replacing the binary recreational-versus-research model. Mandatory electronic pre-dive manifests for activity beyond Tier 1. A standalone cave-diving regulation designating restricted sites and requiring named agency certifications. Liveaboard licensing that distinguishes vessels transporting divers from vessels conducting dive operations, with a senior dive officer of record personally accountable. A consolidated National Dive Safety Authority with technical staff, independent of the tourism revenue stream. Insurance verification at boarding rather than at booking, drawing private-sector incentives into compliance. Whistleblower protections for the dive professionals who know what is happening on the water. An independent incident review board modelled on aviation accident investigation branches.

These are not radical proposals. They are the standard architecture of safety regulation in any mature high-risk industry, and most exist in some form in comparable jurisdictions. What has been missing in the Maldives is the political will to assemble them coherently and the institutional home that would protect them from quiet erosion after the headlines fade.
What We Owe Our Visitors
Maldivians owe it to those who travel here, trusting our waters with their lives, to ensure that what happened at Devana Kandu cannot happen again. That obligation cannot be discharged through statements of condolence alone, nor through investigations whose findings are buried in committee reports. It requires the building of capacity that does not currently exist, the licensing and vetting systems that have been talked about for years, the reporting channels that protect those who speak honestly, and the emergency response architecture that allows a country hosting technical dives to recover divers in trouble without losing rescuers in the attempt.
This work cannot be done alone. It will require partnership with Divers Alert Network, with the international certification agencies, with the cave-rescue communities that responded when called, and with the academic and regulatory bodies whose expertise the Maldives has too often consulted only after tragedy. Six lives were lost at Devana Kandu. The measure of whether they were lost in vain will be written not in statements over the coming weeks but in the laws, institutions, and rescue capabilities that exist over the next few years.


