Advertisementspot_img

Bodies of Four Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives Cave

Authorities have confirmed the discovery of the bodies of four Italian divers who went missing during a diving expedition in Vaavu Atoll, following a multi-agency search and recovery operation.

The Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) announced that all four missing divers were found inside an underwater cave where they had been diving at the time of their disappearance. The discovery came after a coordinated effort involving the MNDF Coast Guard, the Maldives Police Service, and a team of specialist divers from Finland, who were brought in at the request of the Italian government.

The incident was first reported to the MNDF Coast Guard’s Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) at around 1:45 PM on Thursday, when five Italian divers were reported missing in the waters off Vaavu Atoll. An extensive search operation was immediately launched, deploying both sea vessels and aircraft to locate the missing individuals.

Three highly experienced Finnish divers arrived in the Maldives the previous day to support recovery efforts. Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told PSM News that the Finnish team is currently conducting orientation dives to familiarise themselves with the site before proceeding with the deep dives required to retrieve the bodies. He noted that the Finnish divers have a strong track record in carrying out similar high-risk recovery missions across various countries worldwide.

Maldivian Coast Guard and police divers will work alongside the Finnish specialists in a supporting capacity, though they will not be participating in the deep-dive operations. Two local Maldivian companies are also providing logistical support to the team, while the Finnish specialists arrived equipped with advanced, purpose-built diving gear.

Authorities confirmed that recovery efforts will continue over the coming days, with further dives planned to bring the bodies out of the cave.

- Advertisement -spot_img

Authorities have confirmed the discovery of the bodies of four Italian divers who went missing during a diving expedition in Vaavu Atoll, following a multi-agency search and recovery operation.

The Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) announced that all four missing divers were found inside an underwater cave where they had been diving at the time of their disappearance. The discovery came after a coordinated effort involving the MNDF Coast Guard, the Maldives Police Service, and a team of specialist divers from Finland, who were brought in at the request of the Italian government.

The incident was first reported to the MNDF Coast Guard’s Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) at around 1:45 PM on Thursday, when five Italian divers were reported missing in the waters off Vaavu Atoll. An extensive search operation was immediately launched, deploying both sea vessels and aircraft to locate the missing individuals.

Three highly experienced Finnish divers arrived in the Maldives the previous day to support recovery efforts. Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef told PSM News that the Finnish team is currently conducting orientation dives to familiarise themselves with the site before proceeding with the deep dives required to retrieve the bodies. He noted that the Finnish divers have a strong track record in carrying out similar high-risk recovery missions across various countries worldwide.

Maldivian Coast Guard and police divers will work alongside the Finnish specialists in a supporting capacity, though they will not be participating in the deep-dive operations. Two local Maldivian companies are also providing logistical support to the team, while the Finnish specialists arrived equipped with advanced, purpose-built diving gear.

Authorities confirmed that recovery efforts will continue over the coming days, with further dives planned to bring the bodies out of the cave.

Advertisementspot_img

Related News